Communication

Have a trouble of some sort? Here's the place to ask for solution!

Chat / Voice

Discord
29%
Teamspeak
7%
Shoutbox (Actually on forums)
50%
Mumble
No votes
Just Forums
14%
Other (Please Describe below)
No votes

Total votes: 14

keyxmakerx
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Re: Communication

Postby keyxmakerx » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:59 pm

Looks like a shout box inside of a forum post won't work :/

Since that's outa the question, we can still make a discord, and just have it as chat only? Discord would be inside of the browser, and works on mobile as well so. Up to you guys.

I know blackhate recommended it, and after taking a look, they have a lot more permissions then they previously did when I did a last review of it (Though I don't know how long they can stay open without charging people) So we'll see. :)
*No Longer Present On Forums*

Lalarose
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Lalarose » Mon Mar 28, 2016 3:08 am

I have Discord, and honestly it's quite easy to mute yourself and the main person of the chat can move others to a channel to mute them or something. You can mute and deafen yourself, you can adjust people's volume but at the same time you can also create different channels for people to type - like bugs, general, videos, etc.

It might not be for everyone due to not everyone having a mic but you don't necessarily need a mic. With a shoutbox, I feel like things could get lost very easily with the amount of people typing (but then again that can happen on Discord too) I gave my vote to Discord, but I guess it can lean towards the shoutbox or just the forums too.

Edit - Discord wise on the browser you're not really able to do mic but you can hear other people so that's not a problem, but if you wish to speak you will need to download Discord. Discord also frequently updates from what I know, I have it downloaded and I don't know much about the browser version.

keyxmakerx
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby keyxmakerx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:03 am

Lalarose wrote:I have Discord, and honestly it's quite easy to mute yourself and the main person of the chat can move others to a channel to mute them or something. You can mute and deafen yourself, you can adjust people's volume but at the same time you can also create different channels for people to type - like bugs, general, videos, etc.

It might not be for everyone due to not everyone having a mic but you don't necessarily need a mic. With a shoutbox, I feel like things could get lost very easily with the amount of people typing (but then again that can happen on Discord too) I gave my vote to Discord, but I guess it can lean towards the shoutbox or just the forums too.

Edit - Discord wise on the browser you're not really able to do mic but you can hear other people so that's not a problem, but if you wish to speak you will need to download Discord. Discord also frequently updates from what I know, I have it downloaded and I don't know much about the browser version.
Browser will let you use the mic, but you have to authorize it in chrome first. The issue with Discord is that it's permission system is very simplistic (Coming from a Teamspeak background where everything from moving to even seeing other channels has a numbered permission). And although they are upgrading it every day, it makes me worried it won't be easily moderated.

But that said, it does seem like a good solution currently, I just wish they would have a paid for management console or some kinda site based management system. :/

But thanks for the vote, I'll speak it over with meyaoi, and we'll see what we want to do :)

Snakebite
Yaoi Kouhai
Yaoi Kouhai

Postby Snakebite » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:18 am

You should be able to add custom header coding to a forum board, so you could always do that for a shout box if you're still leaning in that direction?
Make a new board titled 'Chat Box', disable new topics from being posted, then post the shout box code in that board's custom coding. That way you could also make the board only viewable to members which limits guests coming along and seeing yaoi topics being discussed? Just an idea.

Not 100% sure if it would work anyway, I come from a myBB & IPB coding background, but these types of sites generally work the same for the most part, so this is always an option if you'd like to keep the home page cleaner. :D

keyxmakerx
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby keyxmakerx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:43 am

Snakebite wrote:You should be able to add custom header coding to a forum board, so you could always do that for a shout box if you're still leaning in that direction?
Make a new board titled 'Chat Box', disable new topics from being posted, then post the shout box code in that board's custom coding. That way you could also make the board only viewable to members which limits guests coming along and seeing yaoi topics being discussed? Just an idea.

Not 100% sure if it would work anyway, I come from a myBB & IPB coding background, but these types of sites generally work the same for the most part, so this is always an option if you'd like to keep the home page cleaner. :D
I Just wish there was a way to hide it, I don't like a huge obnoxious Shout box on the top of everything, this is why I'm leaning away from a built in shout box idea. :/

But No, Shoutbox's are easy to install, same as any other I assume, It's all written in html.

Snakebite
Yaoi Kouhai
Yaoi Kouhai

Postby Snakebite » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:53 am

keyxmakerx wrote:I Just wish there was a way to hide it, I don't like a huge obnoxious Shout box on the top of everything, this is why I'm leaning away from a built in shout box idea. :/

But No, Shoutbox's are easy to install, same as any other I assume, It's all written in html.
That's why I suggested putting it in its own board, that way it isn't on top of everything. That or you could always have it in its own collapsible div? Those are my suggestions anyway, hehe~

keyxmakerx
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby keyxmakerx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:57 am

Snakebite wrote:
That's why I suggested putting it in its own board, that way it isn't on top of everything. That or you could always have it in its own collapsible div? Those are my suggestions anyway, hehe~
Ahh, I see what you mean now.

Yea, I thought of something like that. THAT will require us to contact the developer of the template we are using
Bottom of Page wrote:Style we_universal created by INVENTEA
and have them edit the HTML. I'm not a web dev, just a server admin haha, and there are enough lines of code for this template already :)

Snakebite
Yaoi Kouhai
Yaoi Kouhai

Postby Snakebite » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:06 pm

keyxmakerx wrote:Ahh, I see what you mean now.

Yea, I thought of something like that. THAT will require us to contact the developer of the template we are using
Bottom of Page wrote:Style we_universal created by INVENTEA
and have them edit the HTML. I'm not a web dev, just a server admin haha, and there are enough lines of code for this template already :)
It shouldn't require you to contact the template developers - if phpBB is like any other forum software I've used, there should be a specific section where you can add custom coding to a specific board - it wouldn't alter the actual template in any way.

If I was familiar with phpBB I could guide you to where you need to go but sadly I am not :( So yeah if this was a viable option for you, it would probably be easier just to contact the template creator

KianWindmill
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby KianWindmill » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:11 pm

I choose the shoutbox for the moment too, but have to admit that im a huge fan of teamspeak, voicechat in general, too. Hope there will be something in the future.
~All your base! ~
Rainbow pirate flag HuHa!

Kind regards,
Kian nyahahaah XD

keyxmakerx
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby keyxmakerx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:35 pm

Snakebite wrote:
It shouldn't require you to contact the template developers - if phpBB is like any other forum software I've used, there should be a specific section where you can add custom coding to a specific board - it wouldn't alter the actual template in any way.

If I was familiar with phpBB I could guide you to where you need to go but sadly I am not :( So yeah if this was a viable option for you, it would probably be easier just to contact the template creator
Seems this can be done, but requires the installation of an extension. And as since the last one broke the website for 4 hrs, I'm holding off on that haha.