Let's- Glossary

Discuss everything that is not game-related here.
Melon4T
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Let's- Glossary

Postby Melon4T » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:59 am

Hey there,
There maybe a few of you who are new here you might be wondering about some of the terminology that is being used in the forum, but don't fret we, the community are here for you! * winks and give you a thumbs up*
So if you have no idea what is going on, like me. When these terms come up but can't be bother to look them up.

This is the place for you!

In other words, I think that compiling a community glossary is the right way to go!
So everyone can participate, even if you know just one term.

The basic outline for this is
Word:
Meaning:

I'll update this post, and when ever there is an argument of the meaning of a word, message me and lets work it out!
It shouldn't be too hard, for everyone to chip in...
One word, two words or heck maybe even three words!

LET'S DO THIS TOGETHER! *throws confetti*

Community glossary

Sister Kyoya wrote:Fudanshi: Men who, like fujoshi, enjoy imagining relationships between characters in fictional works when that relationship is not part of the author's intent may be called fudanshi (腐男子?, "rotten boy") or fukei (腐兄?, "rotten older brother"), both of which are puns of similar construction to fujoshi. (source)

Fujoshi: A rotten girl is a self-mockingly pejorative Japanese term for female fans of manga and novels that feature romantic relationships between men. Fujoshi enjoy imagining what it would be like if male characters from manga and anime, and occasionally real-life male performers as well, loved each other. The label encompasses fans of the boys love genre itself. Fans self-deprecatingly refer to their way of thinking, which perceives homosexual relationships between male characters in stories that do not include homosexual themes, as being "rotten". "Fujoshi" carries a connotation of being a "fallen woman" (source)

Bara: "Bara" is short for "Barazoku", an influential Japanese gay magazine which shut down publication in late 2004. 2chan came up with the abbreviated name for their "gay art" imageboard (which has since been discontinued).

Western, gay male anime and manga fans then appropriated the word to contrast with yaoi. Both are homoerotic anime-style art; the difference is while yaoi is gay-male art produced by women for the consumption of women, bara is created by men, for men. Consequently, bara-style art tends toward more exaggerated, overtly masculine physiques and stereotypically masculine behavior.

Bara in this context has nothing to do with "rose", which is what the word means in Japanese. (source)

Neko: An effeminate homosexual is "neko." Neko means cat in Japanese. This word may also also mean a femme dyke. Neko yaru, or"doing cat" is a synonym for gay sex, or sometimes kinky sex between hets. (source)

Seke: A slang word usually used in yaoi (male/male intimate relationships) culture, made by combining the Japanese terms "seme" (the dominant one) and "uke" (the submissive one). It describes a person that enjoys both positions in a relationship and moves between the two based on his mood, the mood of his partner, and the situation itself. (source)

Seme: (1) Japanese term for the dominant partner. (2) The one who takes the traditional male role: initiates the relationship, "pursues" the uke and is usually "on top" during sex. (source)

Tachi: Male role (in a homosexua relationship.) (source)

Uke: From the Japanese verb 'ukeru' (receive) it's used in anime/manga and fanfiction for the "bottom" or "passive" in a yaoi/shounen-ai (male/male) relationship. (source)

Yaoi: also known as Boys' Love (BL), is a Japanese genre of fictional media focusing on romantic or sexual relationships between male characters, typically aimed at a female audience and usually created by female authors. Although yaoi is typically aimed at a female audience, the genre also attracts some male readers; however, manga aimed at a gay male audience (bara) is considered a separate genre. (source)

Kabedon: A situation in which a guy slams his hand against the wall, pinning a girl against it. (source)

and to better explain it there is this...
► Show Spoiler

Mutation wrote:Senpai: A higher up in a workplace, school or social groups like fanclubs, who has been there longer and has more experience. In other words, mentor or an upperclassman .

Kouhai: (Also written as kōhai occasionally) An opposite of a Senpai, a newcomer or protégé in a workplace, school, or fanclub.

THANK YOU!!!

*cries while picking up the confetti*
I should have used glow sticks instead....
Last edited by Melon4T on Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:23 am, edited 3 times in total.
Say ..."I love you."
(////// )

KianWindmill
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Re: Let's- Glossary

Postby KianWindmill » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:03 am

Hey there melon! Welcome to the forum ;)

I think this is a very very great idea! I wonder maybe there is a way to make this even sticky?! Though there happen to be very many words that are not selfexplaning at the fitst look.
~All your base! ~
Rainbow pirate flag HuHa!

Kind regards,
Kian nyahahaah XD

keyxmakerx
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby keyxmakerx » Mon Mar 28, 2016 11:46 am

Interesting Prospect :)

I'd like to see if everyone gets behind it, then I wouldn't mind seeing it sticky as well. ;) <-- Re-read
*No Longer Present On Forums*

camneliops80
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby camneliops80 » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:08 pm

Would you be interested in starting the glossary up with some basic terms? I've already seen discussion around seme, uke, neko, tachi, fujoshi, and fudanshi. And who all remembers where the term "yaoi" comes from?

Melon4T
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Melon4T » Mon Mar 28, 2016 12:39 pm

camneliops80 wrote:Would you be interested in starting the glossary up with some basic terms? I've already seen discussion around seme, uke, neko, tachi, fujoshi, and fudanshi. And who all remembers where the term "yaoi" comes from?

Totally! *Nods Nods* Mhmm
Anything and everything that you can think of, from words you don't use everyday to words you use everyday, it doesn't even have to be complicated just add the terms you think could help the community understand each other.

~Mel
( -^ ^-)b
Say ..."I love you."
(////// )

KianWindmill
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby KianWindmill » Mon Mar 28, 2016 1:00 pm

Melon4T wrote:
camneliops80 wrote:Would you be interested in starting the glossary up with some basic terms? I've already seen discussion around seme, uke, neko, tachi, fujoshi, and fudanshi. And who all remembers where the term "yaoi" comes from?

Totally! *Nods Nods* Mhmm
Anything and everything that you can think of, from words you don't use everyday to words you use everyday, it doesn't even have to be complicated just add the terms you think could help the community understand each other.

~Mel
( -^ ^-)b

Agree! Its a good way to clear up words. Im surprized about some new words im stumble from time to time within the community/fandom... E.g. Neko... Read this word just 1 month ago for the first time. Till this point i knew just the common word like uke, bottom etc...
~All your base! ~
Rainbow pirate flag HuHa!

Kind regards,
Kian nyahahaah XD

Sister Kyoya
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Sister Kyoya » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:35 pm

This would even be useful for those words that you know but don't often come up and then you find out that you forgot... I know I've found out before what Neko means but it has been so long that I'm still scratching my head to remember.

Fudanshi: Men who, like fujoshi, enjoy imagining relationships between characters in fictional works when that relationship is not part of the author's intent may be called fudanshi (腐男子?, "rotten boy") or fukei (腐兄?, "rotten older brother"), both of which are puns of similar construction to fujoshi. (source)

Fujoshi: A rotten girl is a self-mockingly pejorative Japanese term for female fans of manga and novels that feature romantic relationships between men. Fujoshi enjoy imagining what it would be like if male characters from manga and anime, and occasionally real-life male performers as well, loved each other. The label encompasses fans of the boys love genre itself. Fans self-deprecatingly refer to their way of thinking, which perceives homosexual relationships between male characters in stories that do not include homosexual themes, as being "rotten". "Fujoshi" carries a connotation of being a "fallen woman" (source)

Bara: "Bara" is short for "Barazoku", an influential Japanese gay magazine which shut down publication in late 2004. 2chan came up with the abbreviated name for their "gay art" imageboard (which has since been discontinued).

Western, gay male anime and manga fans then appropriated the word to contrast with yaoi. Both are homoerotic anime-style art; the difference is while yaoi is gay-male art produced by women for the consumption of women, bara is created by men, for men. Consequently, bara-style art tends toward more exaggerated, overtly masculine physiques and stereotypically masculine behavior.

Bara in this context has nothing to do with "rose", which is what the word means in Japanese. (source)

Neko: An effeminate homosexual is "neko." Neko means cat in Japanese. This word may also also mean a femme dyke. Neko yaru, or"doing cat" is a synonym for gay sex, or sometimes kinky sex between hets. (source)

Seke: A slang word usually used in yaoi (male/male intimate relationships) culture, made by combining the Japanese terms "seme" (the dominant one) and "uke" (the submissive one). It describes a person that enjoys both positions in a relationship and moves between the two based on his mood, the mood of his partner, and the situation itself. (source)

Seme: (1) Japanese term for the dominant partner. (2) The one who takes the traditional male role: initiates the relationship, "pursues" the uke and is usually "on top" during sex. (source)

Tachi: Male role (in a homosexua relationship.) (source)

Uke: From the Japanese verb 'ukeru' (receive) it's used in anime/manga and fanfiction for the "bottom" or "passive" in a yaoi/shounen-ai (male/male) relationship. (source)

Yaoi: also known as Boys' Love (BL), is a Japanese genre of fictional media focusing on romantic or sexual relationships between male characters, typically aimed at a female audience and usually created by female authors. Although yaoi is typically aimed at a female audience, the genre also attracts some male readers; however, manga aimed at a gay male audience (bara) is considered a separate genre. (source)

Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong. :oops: This was actually kinda fun looking these up. I'm such a geek... :geek:

~Sister Kyoya
I'm a weirdo and I know it. :geek:
Scandalous Parchments for my original yaoi stories!

Suracis
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Suracis » Mon Mar 28, 2016 5:59 pm

Whoa, nice job there Sister Kyoya. That looks like it took a lot of time and effort so thank you for your dedication.

Monari
Yaoi Kouhai
Yaoi Kouhai

Postby Monari » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:16 pm

Thank you Sister Kyoya for your hard work :D I really appreciate it

Noyaroo
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Noyaroo » Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:19 pm

Good idea!