Romance in games

Discuss everything that is not game-related here.
Nemo
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Romance in games

Postby Nemo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:12 am

I was recently watching an episode of Extra Credits that was talking about how games treat romantic relationships. If you aren't familiar with the show, each week they cover various topics of game design. They are quite well done and usually thought provoking. This latest one had me thinking about various aspects of Seiyuu Danshi.
https://youtu.be/wyWiGL3Ampg

....Now that you have (hopefully) watched the video, here are some talking points:

Obviously, since this is going to be a DATING sim we are still primarily focused on that first part of the relationship. However, I know there was some talk of continuing things a bit past the "Achievement unlocked!" stage.

And there are still things in the video that might be worth playing around with from a story perspective:

How would Tocchan react for example, if after romancing him near the beginning you eventually choose to be with another guy? He is still your agent and the two of you still have to work together. Most games would just pretend like nothing happened, but that is kind of a boring choice narratively. Maybe we see him struggling to move on. Perhaps he gets kind of bitter about the whole thing but tries not to let it affect his professional relationship with you.

Another idea is that the player might get to know Nakane a little but then move too fast. The reclusive writer sees you as just another fan throwing themselves at him and rejects you and any future advances.

Or maybe, after having gone part of the way with one of the guys they take a leap and ask to go further with the relationship. At this point you could accept their offer and go all the way, you could say you want to take it slow (which might have repercussions), or you could say that you "just want to be friends".

Of course, all of this is just random musing on my part . I am sure the game will still be great as just a typical dating sim. This is just a discussion about what romance in a game like this COULD be like.

What are all of your thoughts on this? Do you have any ideas as to how some of these themes might be included in Seiyuu Danshi? What do you think that games in general could do to show a more nuanced picture of real-life romance?

evanevan
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Re: Romance in games

Postby evanevan » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:05 am

I think it's better to move this to the Seiyuu Danshi under Games Discussion, if mod can move this.

Afaik getting an official relationship is just half of the games, we will actually spend more time dating them (instead of trying to date them. And it will surely be fun to have some jealousy reactions from other people.
► Show Spoiler

nohyde12
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby nohyde12 » Sat Apr 09, 2016 5:05 am

Well in storm lover series...if you breakup\ cheated on someone ..you and ex will have a long awkward time if you try to approach him..the guy ends up avoiding you but you can still try to be friends...but just not that close ( if you decided to ignore and go on his status will be someone).. if say Tocchan and the Mc breakup due to reasons, i personally think Tocchan will be professional but it might be awkward ...but i think it's a good point you brought it up...( i usually stay loyal to a character in otome games..even if there's a rival mode i tryto avoid this...like the tokimeki...those guys they BOMB you)
Yaoi is my HOPES and DREAMS 8-) ٩(๑❛ᴗ❛๑)۶
► Show Spoiler

Nemo
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Nemo » Sat Apr 09, 2016 3:06 pm

evanevan wrote:I think it's better to move this to the Seiyuu Danshi under Games Discussion, if mod can move this.

Afaik getting an official relationship is just half of the games, we will actually spend more time dating them (instead of trying to date them. And it will surely be fun to have some jealousy reactions from other people.
I wasn't sure exactly where to put this. I meant for it to be a discussion about the topic of the video, how other games treat romance, what they do well at and what they don't, and how some of these ideas might be implemented in Seiyuu Danshi.

And that's what I like about this game: that we get to explore a bit more of the relationship than just going out and getting them into bed for the first time. It opens things up to explore the topic a bit more.

And id doesn't just have to be jealousy either, some might try to win you back for example. I imagine each of the guys will take rejection differently. A lot might depend on HOW you break up with them. Their reactions might even change based on WHO you dump them for.

deweydjb
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby deweydjb » Tue Apr 12, 2016 2:20 pm

You know, Dragon Age inquisition does this really well. You can be turned down by characters that are not of your sexuality. You can romance one at a time but you can break up with them, and I assume they'd treat you differently. They have also added downloadable content that follows the characters relationships after the final battle when the world is saved. Bioware does this really well. I'm expecting good things from the new mass effect.

Nemo
Kickstarter Backer+
Kickstarter Backer+

Postby Nemo » Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:05 am

I agree, Bioware dose seem to handle romance a lot better than some of the other game companies out there. At the very least they are more open about the types of relationships you can have. However, they still aren't as progressive as games like Fallen London/ Sunless Sea which allow you to play as a transgender man adopting an orphan with your gay spouse.

Games still have a long way to go in portraying real-world romance; but they seem to be getting better at least.